For our store teams, we run an Ambassador programme as part of our Whittard Academy that both encourages and rewards those with specialist skills and knowledge at all levels, to share their expertise with our customers and their colleagues.
“I love my role of Tea Ambassador, not only am I provided with the tools and valuable resources to further develop my knowledge and expertise, it enables me to play a vital role in the development of my peers and the Company, creating raving fans for our amazing products and history. I have an absolute passion for all things tea and to be recognised as an expert within a company that has such a rich heritage is truly an accomplishment and has opened up many opportunities for me to thrive with Whittard of Chelsea.“ Courtney Lyons, Tea Ambassador and Cardiff Store Manager
Our central offices are based in London and on the outskirts of Witney in Oxfordshire, on the edge of the Cotswolds.
The Witney office is just a few minutes’ drive from the town centre with Bicester, Oxford, Cheltenham, Abingdon and Swindon all less than an hour's drive away. Our web team are based there along with all the support teams that are vital in making us a successful retail business; Buying, Merchandising, Finance, HR, IT, Marketing and Design.
Our B2B Sales team work out of our bijoux office above our store in Oxford Street in London.
- Both offices have well stocked kitchens with over 20 different teas, coffees and hot chocolates. These are free for employees all to enjoy throughout the day, the selection is changed regularly and we're all encouraged to try as many of our products as we can.
- We’ve got a completely open-plan office, making it easy to share ideas, communicate and interact – even our CEO isn’t hidden away in his own separate office.
- We hold monthly social events as well as a Christmas party and a summer BBQ so you’ve got a chance to mingle with colleagues that you don’t usually work with day-to-day.
- Our central office teams join new store management teams on a 2-day induction. This provides a greater understanding of the Whittard brand, our long term goals and values as well as the opportunity to build relationships across the business. Oh, and you get to do a proper tea and coffee tasting session with one of our experts.
- The best way for you to become a passionate expert in our products is for you to try them so we offer a Product Allowance scheme where you’re able to have two products each month for free and a generous staff discount scheme across our entire range.
- Working hard is something we expect from you but we’re also generous with our rest times. You get 30 or 33 days holiday per year and in some roles we’re able to offer you an additional day off so that you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- All of us are eligible for bonuses and/or incentives so when Whittard does well, you’ll benefit too.
- As a standard, everyone is offered membership of our company pension scheme, access to childcare vouchers, and discounted gym membership.
- There are plenty of opportunities for career progression with in-house training and development programmes; in the first half of 2018 over a third of our new Store Management appointments were a result of internal promotions. But, even if you’re not looking for the next step up the ladder, we have plenty of Ambassador and Champion roles where your specialist skills and knowledge can be used to coach and support your colleagues.
We work closely with a range of trustworthy suppliers – and our relationships with them are crucial for making sure our customers get the best quality products, services and care.
The 5p plastic bag charge in our stores funds our partner charity, the Eve Appeal. They’re the UK’s only national charity funding research into the five gynaecological cancers: womb, ovarian, cervical, vulval and vaginal. We also run events in both our stores and our offices to help raise funds for the Eve Appeal.
We’re a member of the Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP), which aims to create a more sustainable industry by offering free training and support programmes to farmers, as well as tackling significant industry issues to help safeguard workers’ livelihoods.
We also donate to the Retail Trust, which provides free and confidential wellbeing services for employees and their families. Their helpline is available 24/7 and offers advice, information, counselling, legal guidance and hardship support.